Why do people say email marketing is dead? It’s not!
(stats from hubspot)
1) As of 2013, there are 3.6 billion email accounts (Radicati).
2) 54% of emails sent by businesses are marketing messages (Epsilon).
3) 838 billion marketing messages have been sent in 2013 (Forrester).
4) 91% of consumers check their email daily (ExactTarget).
5) 74% of consumers prefer to receive commercial communications via email (Merkle).
6) The average clickthrough rate for B2B marketing emails in Q2 2013 was 1.7% (Epsilon).
7) 60% of marketers believe email marketing produces positive ROI (Marketing Sherpa).
8) 66% of consumers have made a purchase online as a result of an email marketing message (Direct Marketing Association).
9) Email marketing has an ROI of 4,300% (Direct Marketing Association).
10) 59% of companies are integrating email and social channels together (eConsultancy).
11) 76% of email opens occur in the first two days after an email is sent (Alchemy Worx).
12) 48% of emails are opened on mobile devices (Litmus).
13) Only 11% of emails are optimized for mobile (Equinux).
14) 69% of mobile users delete emails that aren’t optimized for mobile (Litmus).
15) Gmail opens have decreased by 27% since May (Litmus).
16) 25% of emails are opened on iPhones (Email Client Market Share).
17) Suppressing anyone in your list who hasn’t engaged with your emails in over a year increases your deliverability rate by 3-5% immediately (HubSpot).
18) 17% of marketers don’t track or analyze email metrics for their organization (MEC Labs).
Coupling the email marketing and your social media together first and foremost is a must. If you’re not doing both you’re losing out to someone who is competition who is doing this. Second, look at the number of emails opened on a mobile device – almost 50%! Not look at the number of emails that are deleted when not optimized for mobile! This tells you right away that you need to p your game to make sure things are easily absorbed across platforms.
Ask yourself how many times a day you check your email and how many times a day you just hit that email icon on your smartphone ‘just to see’ if there’s anything that requires our attention. My guess is a whole lots more then once a day.
If you’re not already sold that you’re missing out if you aren’t taking part in email marketing, do some of your own searching for your industry to see what others are doing. I can tell you first hand that it’s our NUMBER ONE source of brand recognition. In addition to being top of mind on social media, we pair this with monthly newsletters with distinct CTA’s (calls-to-action) in each one. When we ask our potential clients how they found us they tell us 9 times out of ten that they see us on social media, but then they got a newsletter ‘the other day’ that reminded them that they wanted to connect with us. It also allows them to easily ‘reply’ to ask us a question. WIN!
Next post: How to start building an email list with opt-in offers!
firstname.lastname@example.org | 1-604-354-5345