WHAT IS THE 80/20 RULE FOR SOCIAL MEDIA?
The 80/20 social media marketing rule is that 80% of businesses posts on social media should inform, educate, and/or entertain. This 80% of your content should mainly be focused on what really interests your audience, or more specifically your ideal customer/client and engages them in conversations. Only the remaining 20% should work directly promote your brand/business. If you’re feeling skeptical just try applying ‘The 80/20 Rule’ to your social media strategy for 30-days and see the results for yourself.
WHY DOES THE 80/20 RULE WORK?
Marketing has changed drastically over the last ten years and has even experienced significant change within the last three. Some modes and methods of marketing will never change, like the untouchable success of word-of-mouth.
However, many aspects of marketing have and are still rapidly changing. Such as with social media’s growing regularity in the presence of people’s everyday lives which has developed it into a crucial platform for marketing.
That being said, people use social media to be social. They don’t want to be exposed to advertisements or online sales pitches and are generally annoyed when they are subjected to it. Successful social media marketing is strategized so that it is about building relationships and a brand identity people can connect with, or would want to adopt as part of what makes up their own identity as a consumer. Rather than annoying your audience with irrelevant advertisements, real social media marketing success comes from delivering meaningful content.
HOW CAN YOU IMPLEMENT ‘THE 80/20 RULE’ TO YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA CONTENT?
Focus 20% of your content on promotional material…